You need two things: land and at least 10 initial members to register a new community garden in NYC. GreenThumb is the branch of Dept. of Parks & Recreation that registers new gardens, contact them at 212-788-8070 when you’re ready to register and if you have any questions.
If you’re going the guerilla squatter route, especially on private land, this may not be relevant to you. For general info on community gardening and how to start one, the American Community Garden Association has some great info.
How to start and register a community garden in NYC
- Find land
- Find out who owns the land
- If the lot is publicly owned:
- Find out which agency has jurisdiction (on OASIS or 596Acres)
- Call GreenThumb to begin the registration process and to get resources.
- If the lot is privately owned:
- Discuss your plan, figure our who is responsible for insurance
- Get permission in writing from the landlord
- Create a list of members, with contact information
- Once you have land and members, call GreenThumb to register and to get resources. More resources via 596Acres here.